Thursday, November 17, 2016

A Few More Inland Red Phalaropes


Hi All,
I decided to avoid some chores this morning and, of course, go birding.  First stop was the Monmouth Sewage Lagoons, where there were 13 Red Phalaropes.  I was quickly reminded of Roy Gerig’s success yesterday in finding these birds in 3 inland counties, so I thought I’d check a few other lakes, ponds, and marshes to see how many I could find.  

Next stop was the small farm pond on Talmidge Rd, just south of Independence where there were Common Mergansers and American Wigeon.  Next stop was a new pond about a mile south of Monmouth along Rt 99 where there were some 20 Hooded Mergansers.  Next stop was the Lucky 99 farm pond some 6-7 miles south of Monmouth on Rt 99 where there were Ruddy Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks, American Wigeon and Lesser Scaup.  Next stop was a farm pond 2 miles east of the junction of Hwys 22 & 99 where there were 3 Canvasback. Next stop was the Farmer Rd marsh where a few geese were flying around.  Next stop was BSNWR where there was plenty of waterfowl but no phalaropes.  Next stop was the farm pond on Meyer Rd where there were 2 American Wigeon.  Next stop was the farm pond a couple miles west of Perrydale where there was a nice assortment of ducks, but no phalaropes.  Next stop was just west of there in Worth Matthewson’s wetlands where there was one Red Phalarope who was sitting quite still on the water as a Cooper’s Hawk was sitting on a duck blind above him, just waiting for him to take off so he could nab him in mid air, but I was not going to wait around to find out.  I was already over extending my avoiding chores.  Next stop was the West Farm Pond along Enterprise Rd where there were some 50+ Green Winged Teal.  Next stop was Perrydale Rd some 3 miles north of Dallas where there was a nice assortment of ducks, but no phalaropes.

I then did some shopping at the lumber yard for parts to finish the new shower stall I recently put in.  While there the receptionist from MSP called me to relay I had left my gloves in the office.  Hmm, nice that they know me well enough there to help me out.  


Well, I guess I had better get to my chores now that I am home. 
Two Red Phalaropes at MSP









Cooper's Hawk eyeing a Red Phalarope


No comments:

Post a Comment