Friday, March 25, 2016

DOUGLAS COUNTY

Hi All,
I made a trip to Douglas county last Thursday and Friday, teaming up with Jimmy Billistine who lives there and was able to guide me around on Thursday.  While I am not needing to reach 100 there, I do have hopes to reach 200 eventually, and I was at 134 for Douglas prior to those two days.  Sometimes when I know I am going to be birding the next day, I am too keyed up to sleep well, or at least for very long, so found myself awake around 4:00 am, so got up and left, figuring I could so some owling along the way.  I made a few local stops for Barred Owls, but only heard one Great-horned Owl.  A little later, in Benton County I heard a SCREECH OWL at EE Wilson, which was a county bird for me.



After that I headed to I-5 and south.  I stopped at Ford’s Pond in Sutherlin and was able to add VIRGINIA RAIL, NORTHERN ROUGH WINGED SWALLOW and LINCOLN’S SPARROW to my Douglas list, and then headed farther south to Roseburg and met Jimmy at Stewart’s Pond next to Fred Meyer’s.  The place had a lot of ducks, but none which I needed.  After walking around a little, we headed south a few miles to Dole Road for CALIFORNIA TOWHEE, which we were able to both hear and see.  Jimmy told me these were the northern-most breeders in the U.S - World - Universe, so I felt privileged to realize such.  On the way there we nailed a COWBIRD and SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, both which I needed for the county. 
GADWALL - STEWARTS POND

AMERICAN WIGEON - STEWART POND


After that we headed north on I-5 to Sutherlin and Plat I Reservoir.  Along the entrance road was a BLACK PHOEBE which I needed for the county.  There were plenty of waterfowl there, along with swallows, but no martins as yet.  Great place, and I realized this was the place where I had been many years ago, adding my first waterfowl to the county list. We then headed back to Ford’s Pond.  Across the road on the north is a house where TRI-COLORED BLACKBIRDS have been hanging out, and we were able to see a few.  They patronize a feeder there, and also appear to now nest at Ford’s Pond.  For those who have not been there, it is a great place for waterfowl and other associated birds.  We dipped on the Bittern which was reported there not very long ago. Some of the birds there were: MALLARD, PINTAIL, SHOVELER, CANVASBACK, RING-NECKED DUCK, LESSER SCAUP, RUDDY DUCK, AMERICAN WIGEON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, CANADA GOOSE,BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON MERGANSER, WESTERN and PIED-BILLED GREBES, and a few other common birds.  I’m pretty sure I heard Bernie’s HOUSE FINCH as well.

RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD - FORD'S POND
















After that we headed north, driving through various fields, and in the process found out that  Mildred Kanipe Park which was closed. The scenery was great, but there were simply NO Savannah Sparrows!   Do they only winter in the area?  One stop yielded our first COMMON YELLOWTHROAT of the year, as well as a pair of PURPLE FINCHES.  At this point, I might add that sometimes it is good to know what was NOT being seen today.  We dipped on Harrier, Pheasant, California Quail, any shorebird except Killdeer, Band-Tailed Pigeon, Pipits, Chipping Sparrow, Siskin or Evening Grosbeak, some of which can be more or less common.  We admit that it is an in between time, too early for most migrants with wintering species getting sparse.   

We eventually came to the North Bank Habitat Management Area            where we walked for maybe and hour and a half, finding HERMIT THRUSH, PACIFIC WREN, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, WRENTIT, GOLDEN and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, and other common passerines. 

From there we drove along the scenic Umpqua River stopping here and there and finding another COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.  Eventually we made it to  Whistler's Bend where we finally found 3 WILD TURKEYS.  We began to wonder if these were going to evade us after looking in appropriate habitat for so long.  From there we made it back to Fred Meyer’s where Jimmy dropped me off, and also gave me directions to birding locales in Reedsport.  

SCRUB JAY- ELKTON

















The drive there along the Umpqua River continued to be quite scenic, making me think about taking a canoe down it some day.  I stopped at a few places, mainly looking for Savannah Sparrow without success.  Eventually I stopped at the Dean Creek Elk Viewing area, and sure enough, there were plenty of elk to be seen there.  Guess they are accustomed to observers watching them, but kept their distance.   Jimmy said there might be Cackling Geese, Bald Eagles, Harriers or a Kite here, but I saw none.  
BULL ELK - DEAN CREEK


















When I got to Reedsport, I first stopped at the Holly Tree where a Mockingbird was found on the CBC, and refound later on, but he was a no show then, and did not show the next morning either, so maybe he moved on.  I checked out the marina and found HERRING GULL, and on the estuary RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, and just beyond the jetties COMMON MURRES, all of which were new for the county.   There was a COMMON GOLDENEYE hanging loosely with a small flock of COMMON LOONS.  I decided to stay in the Salmon Harbor Motel (or some such name) along Rt 101 in Winchester Bay for the night, a nice quaint little place.

The next morning I headed out to the south jetty, hoping for any number of birds which might be new for me in the county, but after spending an hour, the only addition was a BALD EAGLE.  I next drove south so I could check out the ocean for Marbled Murrelet, but none were to be found.  I next headed to Reedsport to check a brushy area where a Palm Warbler was found on the count, but the only land birds I found were one each of FOX SPARROW, SONG SPARROW and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET.  On the slough I finally found GREATER SCAUP, all females in a small flock.  There were some WOOD DUCKS there as well. 

I next went to the north side of the river where there were extensive mudflats, but no shorebirds at all.  So I headed a little north to Five Mile Road to look for a Swamp Sparrow which was found on the count, but dipped.  The lake in the area was gorgeous and I took a few pics.  While doing so a RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD perched close by, long enough for a few pics.  By the time I was heading out of Douglas County I had reached 148.   It is quite likely that I will be back in a month as my wife wants to head to the south coast for our anniversary next month.  Jimmy and I talked about a trek upon Mt Thielson to try for Rosy Finches and other high elevation birds next August, so that is something I hope works out. 

RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD - FIVE MILE ROAD

















The main place I went in Lane County was the south jetty where I saw 4-5 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES off the end of the jetties.  These were an addition to my Lane list, much harder since it is over 200 now.  I next went to look for the BULLOCK’S ORIOLE which has been wintering at the MSC, but did not find it.  I have to admit I did not give it a lot of time either as I was wanting to get home.  I did go out along the south jetty road and took a few pics.  By now the weather was great - blue sky and not too windy.  There were even a lot of people around for a Friday.  

COMMON LOON - YAQUINA BAY
















All in all it was a good trip.  I would have like to added more to Douglas, but guess I can’t complain.  With one end of the county in the mountains and the other reaching the coast, reaching 200 is pretty doable, maybe even 300 some day.


No comments:

Post a Comment